Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Canadians Know More American History Than I Do!

So, who here has heard of the war of 1812? No, no, not when Napoleon invaded Russia, but the war that was going on in America at that time. Anyone? The second war of independence? Does this ring a bell with anyone? It was the time we invaded Canada.

Yes, the U.S. invaded Canada.

I had no clue. Serious, to all Canadians, I bet more than half of the American people have no clue that we ever invaded Canadian soil, ever. Seriously, when I heard "the war of 1812" I thought Napoleon. I had to find this information out from a documentary called "Who Killed Canada". It was mentioned as a matter of course, and here I had no clue.

Apparently my brother-in-law knew about it because he learned it in the State of Wisconsin class he had to take in high school. I didn't have to take a State of Illinois class! What IS this? What else haven't I been taught in school? War with Canada? And why do the Wisconsin people know and we here in Illinois are left in the dark when Chicago's own Fort Dearborn was attacked and burned to the ground in what is now known as the Fort Dearborn massacre? A massacre in Chicago's history and we don't hear about it or are told why it ever happened. Frankly, I am pissed that I have been allowed to go about my life totally ignorant of the history of my home state.

What else don't I know about American history?

No comments: